If you have ever had your carpets cleaned, you’ll be amazed at how much dirt and grime there is in your carpet. You would probably be disgusted. Although they are great, hiring a carpet cleaner can be quite expensive. A better option would be to invest in your own carpet cleaner, so you can use it whenever you need it. A good carpet cleaner can leave your carpet nearly 10 times cleaner than a vacuum alone.For example, this great cleaner at Steam Insider. So, if you have carpets and rugs in your house you may well decide that a carpet cleaner is an essential purchase.
How Does a Carpet Cleaner Work?
A carpet cleaner removes embedded dirt and stains from the fibres in your carpet.You vacuum your carpet first to remove loose dirt and debris. You then use the carpet cleaner which pumps water into the carpet and removes the dirty soapy water with a high-powered vacuum.This is not the same as a steam cleaner.With a carpet cleaner you are pushing water into the carpet and then sucking it up again. This leaves your carpet slightly wet, so you won’t be able to walk on it for several hours.
Types of Carpet Cleaner
There are two main types of carpet cleaner for you to consider.
- Standard carpet washer. This will clean your carpet but won’t pick up dirt so you’ll need to vacuum first.This means you will need 2 separate pieces of kit.
- A multifunction cleaner is a two-in-one cleaner that can vacuum the carpet and wash the carpet. This means you don’t need a separate vacuum cleaner. If you don’t have much storage space a multifunction carpet cleaner can be a good option.
Carpet Cleaner Features
When considering buying a carpet cleaner, you need to consider the features available and how easy it is to use. You should clean your carpets at least twice a year, so you need a carpet cleaner that will make the job for easier.
- Before buying a carpet cleaner, check how heavy it is.If you are going to be cleaning the carpets of your whole house, you don’t want a struggle moving a heavy cleaner around.
- It’s important to check how large the water reservoir is, especially if you have large carpeted areas to clean.The smaller the tank the more often you will have to fill it.
- Power cable. The length of the power cable is an important consideration depending on how many power sockets you have in your house.You can buy models withextra-long power cords which may be a good option.Consider if you are going to be cleaning your stair carpet, as often you don’t have socketsclose by.
- Depending on the model of carpet cleaner, think about the length of the hose. If you have a long hose that can reach up the stairs, it’s easier than trying to hold the cleaner on the stairs.
- Auto mix.Some models can mix the water and detergent automatically which can save you time.
- Detergent spray. Detergent spray can pre-treat tough stains before washing with the carpet cleaner.
- Water tank heater.This can make the washing more effective as you are washing with warm water. Be aware of the type of carpet you have if you are considering this option. The last thing you want is for your carpet cleaner to shrink your carpet.
- There are a few tools available if you want to add functionality to your carpet cleaner. Things like the crevice tool so you can clean in tight corners.A handheld brush is another option for cleaning stairs and upholstery.
If you have any carpets and rugs in your home, the carpet cleaner is a great option to buy. Vacuuming your carpet will keep it clean however it won’t deep clean your carpet.Cleaning your carpet will not only remove dirt and grime, but also removes any stains.Carpets that are regularly cleaned look better and will last longer than carpets that are not.Walking on dirt in your carpet can be abrasive and wear away you carpet fibres.A good carpet cleaner will refresh your carpets and give them a new lease of life. They are a big investment though, so do your research first.